Police will only need to attend if:
- anyone is trapped or injured
- they are needed to direct traffic or deal with hazards
- any drivers appear to be affected by alcohol or drugs
- a bus or truck needs to be towed, or
- anyone involved has failed to exchange details.
Remember, if you are involved in a crash, keep safe and move away from traffic.
If police are not required to attend:
- contact your insurer or a towing company of your choice to arrange for your vehicle to be towed (if required).
If you cannot arrange a tow and exhaust all other options, call the Police Assistance Line on 131 444.
- exchange details with drivers and/or owners involved and leave the crash site
- if any vehicles were towed as a result of the crash, after leaving the crash site you need to contact the Police Assistance Line on 131 444 to report the crash as soon as possible.
We recommend you download the What to do after a car crash flyer (PDF) to keep in your vehicle for future reference.